Seminole Baptist Church began as a mission of Lakeview Baptist Church in February 1952. Members met in the home of Jeannie Faircloth in the Seminole Manor Area of Tallahassee – thus the name Seminole Baptist. As the numbers grew, an old warehouse nearby was acquired. Rev. R.P. (Tommy) Tomberlin was called to be the pastor. Though he was still attending the Seminary in New Orleans, Bro. Tommy drove back and forth each week to lead his growing flock.
The Mission was constituted into a full-programmed church in 1954 and began building a permanent facility, located on Jackson Bluff and Ausley Roads, in 1957. Additional buildings were added to the property as needed, and, under the leadership of Rev. Richard Wynn, a major renovation began in 1977. In 1989, while Rev. Terry Gregory was pastor, the membership voted to relocate to a piece of property at the corner of Gearhart and Mission Roads. This location became known as “The Promised Land.” During the period of “wandering in the wilderness” the membership met briefly in Springwood Elementary and then purchased a modular unit which was moved onto the property.
Groundbreaking Services for the permanent facility took place on March 2, 1997, and after surmounting many obstacles – building permits and EPA concerns – the new building was officially dedicated on March 7, 1999. God truly made a way when there seemed to be no way! In 2009 God brought Pastor Gary Linton to Seminole. Since that time we have continued to see God’s continued hand of blessing and in 2014, began construction on the new 4,500 square-foot Fellowship Hall addition. With the new Fellowship Hall completed, we are now able to minister to even more people, and it is our desire that God will continue to grow our church for His glory!